Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Record Black Bear For Arkansas?

Record Black Bear For Arkansas? 4 years 8 months ago #1

• arkyhog
  • Board Member
  • Keep your powder dry
  • Thank you received: 125
I've been meaning to share this with you guys for a long time, and I keep forgetting to do it. This is a picture of a black bear shot last deer season by a guy I work with. The bear weighed 445 lbs and measured 6 feet 6 inches from tip of the nose to the tail, and this was before he put on his winter weight! The game biologist said he could have pushed up over the 600 lb mark if he was shot in late November. I will try to get the skull measurements of when he was scored by a Boone and Crockett scorer.

This huge monster was shot near Cass north of Ozark.

Was it a record bear for Arkansas? The guy who shot this is telling me Arkansas doesn't keep records for black bears; why is that?

Anyway, here is the pic. It was taken with a cell phone, and was the best one taken so far. Sorry for the resolution. The guy who shot the bear is laying on top of the bear to provide a measure of how massive this bear was.

Steve Jones
Board Member
Arkansas Carry
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
twitter.com/Arkyhog
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Record Black Bear For Arkansas? 4 years 8 months ago #2

• arkyhog
  • Board Member
  • Keep your powder dry
Ok, here is the measurements on the skull:

Boone and Crockett apparently takes the measurement from the back of the skull to the end of the upper jaw (the teeth stick out farther than the nose) and add it to the width of the skull. This bear skull measured 20 11/16ths inches. It was 5/16ths of an inch short of making the world record books.

The world record black bear supposedly measured 23 inches!
Steve Jones
Board Member
Arkansas Carry
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
twitter.com/Arkyhog

Re: Record Black Bear For Arkansas? 4 years 8 months ago #3

• HungrySeagull
  • Charter Member
  • Thank you received: 35
That is IMPRESSIVE.

Bears were a fact of life back home in the mountains such as Big Savage near Cumberland. But this bear is about as BIG as I ever see either in life or photo.

Whew... I go take my anxiety pills now LOL -NOT!

What gun, caliber and load was used to take this one down; do you recall? Also what range was it taken at?

Re: Record Black Bear For Arkansas? 4 years 8 months ago #4

• arkyhog
  • Board Member
  • Keep your powder dry
That is IMPRESSIVE.

Bears were a fact of life back home in the mountains such as Big Savage near Cumberland. But this bear is about as BIG as I ever see either in life or photo.

Whew... I go take my anxiety pills now LOL -NOT!

What gun, caliber and load was used to take this one down; do you recall? Also what range was it taken at?

I think he snuck up on this one and sprinkled salt on its tail... :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, he was sitting on the ground under a tree when he shot it with a .50 calber CVA Staghorn muzzleloader (free plug for CVA). He said it snuck in behind him when he first realized it was there, and walked beside him a few yards away. He couldn't swing around and shoot it until it was about 30 yards away. He thinks he also set a world's record for reloading his muzzleloader after he shot the first time, because all he heard and saw was LOUD roaring and trees shaking all around!

He just got the mount back today, and I believe he had to add on a new room to the house to put it in... 8O 8O

By the way; the fellow's name is David Hayes. He was very proud of the shot, but still didn't win my big buck contest... :P
Steve Jones
Board Member
Arkansas Carry
twitter.com/Arkyhog

Re: Record Black Bear For Arkansas? 4 years 8 months ago #5

• HungrySeagull
  • Charter Member
  • Thank you received: 35
Oy!

He thinks he also set a world's record for reloading his muzzleloader after he shot the first time, because all he heard and saw was LOUD roaring and trees shaking all around!

End Quote

My idea was throw Salmon past the bear very far away then reload. LOL.

20 seconds or less to reload BP. At least it was how long it took me with a Confederate Enfield.

Re: Record Black Bear For Arkansas? 4 years 8 months ago #6

• arkyhog
  • Board Member
  • Keep your powder dry
Oy!

He thinks he also set a world's record for reloading his muzzleloader after he shot the first time, because all he heard and saw was LOUD roaring and trees shaking all around!

End Quote

My idea was throw Salmon past the bear very far away then reload. LOL.

20 seconds or less to reload BP. At least it was how long it took me with a Confederate Enfield.

Knowing David and how excited he probably was, I'm guessing he may have thrown powder down AFTER the bullet...
Steve Jones
Board Member
Arkansas Carry
twitter.com/Arkyhog

Re: Record Black Bear For Arkansas? 4 years 8 months ago #7

• arkyhog
  • Board Member
  • Keep your powder dry
Here are some pictures of the bear mount; he got it back this weekend:

Steve Jones
Board Member
Arkansas Carry
twitter.com/Arkyhog
  • Page:

Automated Tip Line

Add Us to Your Cell Phone!

501-291-4839

This is a voice mail box that forwards your messages to our e-mail.  Give us a call if you have a question about our organization, carrying firearms, or see a business that prohibits lawful carry!

Join our effort to get Pro-2A candidates elected. 
Visit us at:  www.ac-pac.org
www.facebook.com/arkansascarrypac
Arkansas Carry Political Action Committee

Site Visitor Activity

We have 204 guests online
You are here: Forums The Armory Hunting in Arkansas Record Black Bear For Arkansas?