Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Muzzleloader season

Muzzleloader season 3 years 9 months ago #1

• arkyhog
  • Chairman
  • Keep your powder dry
  • Thank you received: 125
Saturday is the first day of Muzzleloader season! I always look forward to this day more than any other first hunting season day because it's usually the first time in the fall that I get to spend an extended amount of time in the woods.

While I really get fired up, I try not to forget the safety rules that go along with handling a black powder rifle and handgun. Here are some safety tips to follow:

Muzzleloader safety

One thing I find missing in these hints is 'muzzle control' and handling the firearm when climbing stands.

By muzzle control, I mean making sure the barrel is pointing in a safe direction at all times. I know lots of people who load their rifles at home, then drive to their hunting area without a percussion cap on the rifle. I'm not sure if this is true, but I have heard that static electricity can cause a muzzleloader to discharge (the reason for brass paraphenalia). If true, sliding the rifle across the seat of your truck on a cold, dry morning could have disastrous results.

When climbing a stand, make sure the percussion cap is off the nipple until you are comfortably and safely seated in the stand. Pulling a loaded firearm up with a rope is not safe, whether it is a centerfire rifle or a primitive firearm.

Have fun!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Muzzleloader season 3 years 9 months ago #2

• HungrySeagull
  • Charter Member
  • Thank you received: 36
Good luck Muzzle Loaders! I don't know much about modern ML's but I wish to reinforce that you want to keep that weapon empty until you are in your hunting spot and ready to go. I recall during Living History we were not loaded at all until we were deployed in line of battle or by rank.

Good luck and good hunting.

Re:Muzzleloader season 3 years 9 months ago #3

• hoodlum1436
  • Area Coordinator
  • Cogito, ergo armati sum.
  • Thank you received: 12
Man oh man, I can't wait to try out hunting with a muzzleloader! Or a bow! Unfortunately, not this year. Its taken all my hobby moolah just to get the guns, clothes, equipment, etc. to get ready for modern gun hunting. lol Eventually, though, I'll do it all. :grin:
Brandon Hood
Arkansas Carry
Area Coordinator
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Cogito, ergo armati sum.
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by hoodlum1436.
  • Page:

Automated Tip Line

Add Us to Your Cell Phone!

501-291-4839

This is a voice mail box that forwards your messages to our e-mail.  Give us a call if you have a question about our organization, carrying firearms, or see a business that prohibits lawful carry!

Join our effort to get Pro-2A candidates elected. 
Visit us at:  www.ac-pac.org
www.facebook.com/arkansascarrypac
Arkansas Carry Political Action Committee

Site Visitor Activity

We have 52 guests and 1 member online
You are here: Forums The Armory Hunting in Arkansas Muzzleloader season